Advantage S100 vs newer Bladelius Thor?

gryphon

Hi, I have a Advantage S100 integrated amp, an amp I have had for many years now, it has the brushed aluminum front, not the black one, lately I started using it again, but noticed that when I play on lower volume I lose my right channel, the best is to leave it on power all the time.

Can anyone tell me the difference in sound from the S100 vs the never Thor 3 or would a primare i32 be a better fit.

Will in future hopefully play with the new Qln Signature 3

Thanks

Ps. Welcome to write back in Swedish

Nu kan jag inte säga något om hur de nyare förstärkarna låter i jämförelse med din förstärkare men jag skull gissa att problemet du har med din är att utgångsreläerna börjar bli dåliga. Det är de svarta klotsarna som sitter bredvid utgångskablarna. Ingen stor sak att byta dessa.

advantage_s100.JPG

Well, from my understanding it doesn't have to be the same output relays but they do have to measure the same. Same same but different will be just fine, the sky is the limit and so on....

And yes, everything in the signal path makes a difference.

Talked to the store, they told me the mechanic will be back at work on Monday. So I opened up my amp and sent him pictures of the inside, he will call me back next week.

When I told this problem to the Danish importer they said it would be very costly to repair because it likely was the soldering getting loose!

• 1 month later...

Update..... got the two relays changed on my amp (G5LE-1-VD OMRON Relæer) listen to the amp for a week now, and it plays on low volume fine now.

But...... it seams to me like the midrange is harsher and a bit grainy sounding, when there is just one voice it is better, but harmonies or more instruments in the mix and the sound seams to have deteriorated compared to the amp before the relays were changed.

Will it get better with time or have I gotten relays that someway deteriorate the sound more than the old ones.

Any ideas?

Hard to say... One parameter is also that you get used to what you heard before versus what you hear now. It is just different? Maybe it is closer to as it sounded when it was new?

My suggestion is that you give it some time to see if you start liking it or not. New devices might need some time to sound proper as well.

I have tube amplifiers and every time it is time for new power tubes it sounds quite different at the frequence edges but after a few days everything feels normal again in spite of it is not the same.